Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Extinguishing Sin Part 2: Delighting In The Lord




Extinguishing Sin Part 2

Delighting In The Lord

To remove the inner impulse to sin it makes sense that the follower of Jesus must find some fulfillment and satisfaction in the teachings and life of faith in the Word of God. There must be joy in conforming to the standards of God. To extinguish sin is to have no toleration for the impulse itself. Complete freedom from the war against personal sin is never achieved, but each battle and progress is glorifying to the Lord. With the desire for selfish gain still plaguing our human nature, the comfort we find is the ability to overcome with the renewed desire to glorify the Lord. This is to delight in the things of God and what is pleasing in His sight. This is what you want and strive for. As we have discussed the renewal of the inner self, it is from this renewal that we have a continued desire within for the things of God. Delighting in the Lord in the inner self means to depend on and seek the things of God to fill our life. Actions of righteousness may not immediately follow but should gradually grow to reflect the things of God. All that you do and celebrate is that of the things of God. You can't even support things that are contrary to His standards and Will. So we must seek God and pursue Him with everything because that is fulfilling to the follower of Jesus!


Suggested Passages


“So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin” -Romans 7:21-25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Devotional Thoughts: The Breaking Point

Photo by Aaron Burden https://unsplash.com/photos/J2XuOsy4mJE Life is full of moments when enough is enough. This can be in the small things...