Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Some Thoughts On The Life of Faith Under Social Restrictions

man holding his hands on open book



Photo by Patrick Fore on Unsplash



I wanted to share a few thoughts at the beginning of this time of restricted social gatherings.

1.  Technology helps, although not perfect

With the ability to use the internet and phone calls, we are able to stay connected even during times like these when we are restricted to our very small gatherings. The church must be proactive to reach out through the methods like never before to stay in each other's lives. Our phones have been a problem for so long that the idea of them being of such value now under these circumstances, is strange. Moving through different and strange times can be done efficiently through effective communication. Communication is work, however, that must be intentional.  Nothing beats in-person interaction, but for temporary struggles, we have many opportunities for alternative communication.

2. Solitude is a spiritual discipline 

Temporary solitude has been recognized as a spiritual discipline that was modeled by our Lord and Savior. This time is for a renewed focus on the Lord that is free from the distractions of normal everyday life. Normally this is a voluntary practice that one seeks to make a part of their routine of disciplines. During this time of restricted gatherings, one can take advantage of the time that is spent alone or with family units. No more extra activities that we recognize as being a threat to family units. For those with children at home, solitude may only be a dream for the future, but an increased time of family solitude can be an increased time of family worship and prayer. Regardless of your situation, find the best way to commune with God under these circumstances. 

3. Corporate worship will now be yearned for more than ever

I saw this mentioned by a fellow pastor in reaction to the closing of public worship and I believe he is right. We have seen public worship as just a part of our regular routine for so long. So much so that we have to work hard to engage with the Lord in worship and not just passively go through the motions. This interruption may have a positive effect on the other side where we actually learn to long for our time of worship together in order to meet with God as a family. I hope those that have viewed the church as a take it or leave it option will also see the value of community in Christ with more clarity. 

4. Change and challenges are a catalyst for growth

No one looks forward to challenges or hardship, but our Lord does proclaim that persecution, for example, is a trait and blessing of the believer's life. (Matthew 5:2-12) The refinement that happens when the church is attacked or challenged with hard circumstances is of great value and comfort. (Romans 5:1-5) With the first major interruption to regular in-person meetings of the church of this magnitude, I believe we will be better on the other side. Most good things come after sacrifice and struggle that builds your character and determination. This is true even in the life of faith. 


"Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;

be gracious to me and answer me!
You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
“Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
Hide not your face from me.
Turn not your servant away in anger,
O you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not,
O God of my salvation!
For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
but the Lord will take me in.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
and lead me on a level path
because of my enemies.
Give me not up to the will of my adversaries;
for false witnesses have risen against me,
and they breathe out violence.
I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living!
Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the Lord!"   -Psalm 27:7-14

"If our hearts delight in God and his face, then we can contemplate losing earthly joys without fear"-Tim Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Devotional Thoughts: The Breaking Point

Photo by Aaron Burden https://unsplash.com/photos/J2XuOsy4mJE Life is full of moments when enough is enough. This can be in the small things...