Thursday, March 28, 2019

Sermon Sadness



When is your lowest point? I’m talking about the depths of sadness that is so solemn that you almost can’t speak. Mine is interesting in that it is right after I deliver a sermon. The temptation to be hard on myself is irresistible for things I said or didn’t say as clearly as I wanted. My theory is that when you truly give your all to something you are drained of all emotion. Preaching is by nature spiritual which involves emotion. I can even feel the physical effects as I am putting in the effort. So maybe it is not sadness at all. This feeling could be the reaction of great effort and still a sense of falling short of the great task. Preaching is enjoyable and an honor in the greatest sense. I thank the Lord that He is able to use my sermon that I have genuinely and with great effort prepared. That moment of declaring truth has been the culmination of prayer, study, and application for the purpose of God doing an amazing work. The fruits of the hours of preparation and prayer are desired greatly. When the fruits are not visibly evident, one can be greatly discouraged. In the moment of sadness, the only appropriate act of obedience and attitude of the heart is to trust God more. Those that preach and teach must proceed over the long-term with an understanding that the change and growth of all people begin from within the heart of the conscience. By turning to greater trust in the Lord to work, you will find the confidence to build upon a long-term life of obedience that will eventually bring a harvest of spiritual growth within the congregation. This growth will become visible through the spread of discipleship and evangelism. Sermon sadness is strange and could just be my struggle alone, but I am grateful for it. This struggle is a reminder of my weakness and that the task of being a Pastor/Preacher is bigger than my abilities. I must trust in the one who provides all things as the Creator God. Let us be prompted by our struggles to turn our attention to the Lord. 


“I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.”  1 Corinthians 1:10-17



“I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.” - 1 Corinthians 3:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Devotional Thoughts: The Breaking Point

Photo by Aaron Burden https://unsplash.com/photos/J2XuOsy4mJE Life is full of moments when enough is enough. This can be in the small things...