Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Contentment






To truly be thankful one must learn to be content. A believer who has given to God what is rightfully His, finds all things in an intimate relationship with Him. All of life belongs in submission to God, as He is the giver of life. By submitting to God, you are pursuing His leadership of your life. With God as the leader of your life, one becomes more aware of His power and authority over creation. (Jude 24-25) The dwelling in or abiding in the presence of God to find contentment while living in this world, is the challenge for all who are in Christ. Finding a daily pursuit of God through spiritual disciplines such as prayer and bible study are essential, but still just the beginning. Heart engagement while practicing the spiritual disciplines is the key to truly finding closeness with God through Jesus. Being close to God constantly will provide satisfaction in the will of God alone, which is contentment. To be overflowing with thanksgiving is found in contentment with Christ alone, forsaking all of this world that is apart from the righteousness of God.

Passages to consider:

"But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world"          -1 Timothy 6:6-7

"I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me"   -Philippians 4:10-13


"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving" -Colossians 2:6-7

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me"    -John 15:4 (Really verses 1-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Devotional Thoughts: The Breaking Point

Photo by Aaron Burden https://unsplash.com/photos/J2XuOsy4mJE Life is full of moments when enough is enough. This can be in the small things...